Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Happy 1st birthday Nya!


Here is my post for Nya's 1st birthday. Those of you who know me I like to go all out for my kids birthday. I love to make their cakes and decorate for them. I know she is only one and may not remember but that is why we take pictures and post on blogs. One day she will look back and hopefully say "wow, mom you did a lot and that looked like a special day." And I will look at her and say, " Yes, Nya it was a lot, but you are worth it and it was so special to me to do for you."
With all of that said, I wanted Nya's birthday to be whimsical and girly. I chose to go with flowers and pastel colors. Mainly pink. So above is her cake. I tried to use my giant cupcake pan that I have and make a flower pot with flowers. Thankfully my mom made chocolate candy flowers that I was able to use on the cake. It didn't turn out the way I pictured in my mind but it wasn't too bad.


We had Fruit Skewers & Fruit Dip, Turkey Wraps, Chips & Fresh Salsa and Veggies & Dip. I put the majority of stuff in clay pots to go with the theme. I also decorated mason jars with ribbon and everyone's name on them with straws and paper cut out flowers. The butterflies and flowers I found at Michael's. I love them because they just clip on and were only a $1. They are really pretty too.
As favors, I had a mini bug pan that I made pound cake bugs and coated them with a sugar glaze and placed in these boxes that had lady bugs, flowers and butterflies on them. I topped them off with some flower lollipop candies my mom had made.
Larry has created his own tradition for his daughter for her birthday. Every birthday he is going to bring her flowers and have his picture taken with her. Here he is giving her the flowers he bought her this year. So sweet!
For fun, I created some games to play. The first the kids played was pin the bee on the flower. I made a bee from my Cricut (I love this machine, love my hubby more for getting it!!) and then I painted a big flower on poster board and taped it on the wall. We blindfolded the kids and they did their best and pinning the bee closest to the pollen.
The second game we played, was Caterpillar Limbo. I got a green pool noodle from the Dollar tree added antennae and eyes to it and we played limbo with him. The kids really enjoyed seeing Paul Fullbright and Larry attempt to limbo.
Pictured above are Mahala, Kalia and Kian ready for the last game we played which was a flower hunt. I dressed each child in a bug apron (from the Dollar tree), a foam visor I added antennae too, and wings I made out of tissue paper and tied around them. As "bugs" they had to go around and find the hidden flowers with candy. I gave each of them a decorated paper bag with their names on them and they had a blast finding all the flowers.
All in all it was a great small party for Nya's first birthday. Now onto planning next year...

1 comment:

  1. Ok these bug outfits are fantastic! And I totally teared up on Larry's tradition of bringing Nya flowers every year:) LOVE it:) I wanna Cricut!!!!!

    ReplyDelete