Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How do you do it?


Since we have added Quinlyn to the mix, I often get asked how do you do it all with 3 small kids? The answer is...I don't. I have come to the place in

my life that I understand I can't do it all. I am not superwoman or in this case supermom. My house is not always clean. The laundry is NEVER done and when I move on from cleaning one room is when another is destroyed. I sadly will admit that company is a good thing for us to have because then the house gets clean. I spend quite some time to try and clean up, I then dare the kids to even move, company comes and then it’s clean for approximately 20 minutes after they leave and that’s really pushing it. I find that when I clea

n up I have two tornados behind me either pulling something out, "helping" mommy put things away, spilling something or dropping anything that consists of millions of pieces. If you think there are no messy eaters in the world you have not broken bread with a toddler or at least not my toddler. You have hopes of helping them by giving a fork to them to be a big kid and it’s like you have given them a shovel to an archaeological dig. Everything is on the floor, chair and in their hair. Taking a quick trip or running an errand is not so quick anymore. It at least takes a couple of hours to get everyone dressed and ready, and then another few just to load up in the car buckling seatbelts, car seats and carriers into place. Once you get anywhere mind you all that has to be repeated every time you get in and out of the vehicle. Wh

en you have multiple children under the age of 4 it’s often, always, an undertaking to keep them all with you. Of course there are those fun car carts at the grocery store or the multiple seat option carts at Wal-Mart, but what happens when they are all gone. Like the other day when I was walking in with my crew barely holding Q’s carrier, Nya’s hand and Kian by the hoodie and a woman with ONE child (maybe 1 yr. old if that) took the ONLY fun multiple seated car cart, and looked at me and walked off with a big smile. Well you improvise, with the oldest you can play freeze or others call it red light/green light and stick the middle in the basket of the cart and the carrier in the front. But then the dilemma of your groceries suddenly becoming like quick sand swallowing that small child up...then what do you do? I showed my kids a new world to the cart and that was lounging underneath it where the usual “big” items go. They l

oved it.

So can I do it all? With the Lords strength yes, yes I can. After all He is the One that saw fit that I needed 3 children to tend to and raise. I often think He may look at me and say I must have been snoozing when I thought that was a good idea. J But thank goodness I have His strength and that I can rely on Him in the days when laundry is invading my room (such like today), the dishes are piling up, there is not much to eat in the fridge, not cause of lack of money but because of lack of shopping for it, and my kids have (get ready) colored on the walls, gotten into cream cheese, spread Vicks Vapor Rub in the closet and on the bed, spilled well just about everything, pulled out all the clothes in their closet & drawers, “read” every book that was on the shelf that is now on the floor, decided their stuff animals needed a bath too, thought A LOT of bubbles in the tub would be better that just a few and the list could go on and on, and on, and on, and on, and well you get it. But at the end of the day, when they are off (aka asleep in bed) and I look at them, I wouldn’t trade anything for the entire world. This is my honor and privilege to be their mommy. To train them up in the way they should go, to love them, to cherish their small chubby hands that get into everything, to celebrate with them when they learn and see something new & exciting, to encourage them to try their best and be who God created them to be. It is an honor to wear the many hats of a mommy. I wasn’t created to be able to handle it all I was just created to be Kian, Nya and Quinlyn’s mommy. And they are happy with me just being mommy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on having company over. My favorite part about having friends for dinner is that I can speed-clean in about an hour what would have normally taken me weeks to accomplish. I canNOT believe that lady did that at Walmart!!! Justus and Titus have ridden on the bottom of the basket, too :) haha (makes us look even more like a circus freak show!!!) Justus actually wants to ride on/in the cart, but once I get the groceries going, there's no room for him (like you said), and he just about tips the cart over trying to ride on the side (not to mention making the cart weigh an extra 40 lbs. on top of the 70 plus pounds it already weighs.) haha ANYWAY, I loved reading this post. The joys of motherhood, right?!!! Mine have gone a little overboard on the mischievous/misbehaving lately, so I'm very ready for this nice spring weather (lots of time at the park with my house left generally untouched! haha) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete